Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Rex's, Steamboat Springs, CO "Burn Your Face Off"

If you haven't guessed by the title we took a ski trip to the gorgeous Steamboat Springs in Northern Colorado, nestled in the grand Rocky Mountains. What a beautiful place and what they call champagne powder is truly champagne powder. I wanted to lay in the snow and drink it up like a morning mimosa.... except I forgot the orange juice! The best thing about ski trips besides subtle nips of cinnamon flavored drinks and the fellowship of the trip mates are the bloody marys. The first night we hit up Rex's, a bar/fine dining establishment attached to the Holiday Inn. There were 3 bloody marys on the window and I worked my way through two of them. My buddy ordered the other one and I tried it... Not worth the time of day or the effort to type the words. Plus, when something is called "Burn Your Face Off" you try it.

Appearance: 5/10 Lame standard glass with dumb black straw. Honestly, are they trying to hide the beverage as it comes through the straw? Give me clear or give me Busch Light!!!! The chili/lime salted glass rim was kinda neat. 

Garnishes: 6.5/10 There was a lemon and a lime. Double the illness. Get that crap out of my drink. If you still get lemon or lime with your water you need to reevaluate! Put the juice in, not the peel! The pepperocini was great, the olive too and then there was pickled jalapenos and I believe pickled celery chunks. A new idea! 

Spice/Bang: 6/10 If the establishment is going to tell me that my face will burn off I expect my face to burn off. My nose hardly got a sniffle and my eyes didn't even water and if they did it was from pure emotion from looking at the lovely lady seated next to me. Don't get me wrong, the flavor was good but the name was inappropriate. Perhaps spicy bloody would be better. The Absolut Peppar was good and the habanero mix was fine but it was missing the habanero flavor....

Desire: 5/10 A fair bloody but would not go to the establishment again just for this bloody. The happy hour was kind of neat though with the prices for food being kind of reasonable. 

Price: 3/10 Yes this is a ski town but no, this establishment was not on the mountain. It was attached to a blasted Holiday Inn for goodness sake! Since it was happy hour when we were there we got a dollar off drinks so the bloody was $7. Still pricey, especially when my face was not burnt off.

Overall: 25/10 Really average. If in steamboat you need to go elsewhere. Nice try Rex's. 



No comments:

Post a Comment